2015 Class: Malik Newman – Player Profile
Malik Newman is considered the No. 1 shooting guard in the nation, ranking third out of all prospects in the class of 2015. Checkout Newman’s player profile below, as we break down his biggest strengths and weaknesses.
- Birthday: 02/21/97
- Position: SG/PG
- Height: 6’3″
- Wingspan: 6’5″
- Weight: 180
- Hometown: Jackson, Mississippi
- School: Callaway High School
- Draft Class: 2016
- Stats: 29.2 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.9 SPG, 51.0 FG%
- Bonafide scorer that can shoot from all areas of the floor. Nearly unstoppable from mid range and also has developed into an exceptional three point threat. Very quick with the ball in his hands, using his speed to sweep past defenders and finish in the lanes at will. Not a superb athlete, but makes up for it by utilizing his strength to power his way inside. Very clever offensively, often changing his shot in mid-air and utilizing numerous hesitation moves to continually find ways to score.
- Kind of a tweener, lacking the passing ability to be a true point guard or the height to regularly play shooting guard. His speed and aggression can also get out of control, as he’ll force shots and not allow the offense to run fluidly. He’s got decent athleticism, but may struggle to attack the rim in college once he faces lengthier defenders.
NBA Comparison: Rodney Stuckey/Jason Terry